It’s “add your name here”, among your triennial lesson in the Publishing With WordPress Crash Course. In your last lesson we talked about the easiest way to install WordPress and how to increase your WP-admin spread so that you can begin customizing you new website!
Today we are going to talk about working with WordPress themes et cetera adding in Plugins, so that your new website can look good and work great!
As we have discussed in your previous lesson, one of the things that makes WordPress such a versatile content management system is the fact that it is incredibly easy to change the look, feel and functionality of your website.
The first thing we are going to discuss is how to add a new theme and then activate it from within your WordPress dashboard. There are couple ways to accomplish this.
– You can either upload a theme that you have on your computer.
– Or install a theme directly from confidential your WordPress admin.
Once you are logged into your dashboard, subalternate “Appearance” on your sidebar, clack on “Themes”. This will aperture up a new page. There you will see two tabs ” Manage Themes” and ‘Install Themes”. Under the install themes tab you can either upload a theme from your computer or use the theme search function. Of course using the search function is a much easier option, especially if you are just getting the hang of using WordPress, but if you have a special or premium theme that you are dying to us, installing it is as fatuous as uploading a zip file.
Once you experience chosen theme and installed it, bang on the Manage Themes tab. There you bestow look a list of all the available themes that you have installed. You can either choose to preview the stem or activate it. Bygone the theme has been installed you can begin working with it.
At the top of the Install Themes octavo you will often see a list of options. Example: Widgets | Menus | Background | Header | Idea Options These links will make it easier for you to begin customizing your new theme.
When it comes to customizing your new theme your options will be different depending on the theme that you chose. Some of the common chattels that you will be able to customize are:
– The header eidolon or logo. – The meal tabs. – The color scheme of the theme. – The text or font color. – The footer – the sidebars and widgets.
There are a less more things to keep in mind when changing to a new theme, especially whether you already have a lot of content added to your website.
– When choosing a new theme look for one that has good ratings furthermore reviews. If it doesn’t bear any reviews or ratings steer clear.
– It is a good idea to back up your files before installing a new theme, so you don’t lose everything just in case something goes wrong.
– Not all Plugins will work beside every theme.
– You should test your new dissertation in more than single browser to make sure that it looks good and functions properly.
When it comes to installing Plugins and widgets the summons is basically the same. You will treasure the widgets on your sidebar under Appearance.
As for Plugins, they are afterward awesome that they have their own menu tab. Substrative this tab you inclination see these links:
– Installed plugins – Add new – Editor.
As with the themes invoice you can deal your extant plugins furthermore lay new ones from here, besides simply searching for them in the plugins directory or uploading them from your computer.
That’s it for today’s lesson. In your next task we will be talking more about using Plugins to make your website more functional, along with some of the best free ones that you vessel use.